Purpose and Rationale of the Program
The aim of the Molecular Biology-Genetics and Biotechnology Master and Doctorate Program is to provide sufficient knowledge in the fields of molecular biology, genetics and biotechnology based on this information and to train quality researchers for the needs of the country.
Biotechnology, which has developed as a result of rapid developments in the field of Molecular Biology in recent years, has already begun to shape many areas of the industry. Experts trained in these fields are limited in our country. The program aims to fill this gap in the fields of molecular biology, genetics and biotechnology in our country and to provide studies for new formations. Thus, the shortage of trained manpower required for our country in these areas, whose priority has been determined for our century, will be met. At the same time, raising researchers who aim to contribute to universal science and have this potential are among the main goals.
Contribution of the Program
With the application of molecular biology and genetic information, biotechnology is advancing very rapidly and creating new sectors. New developments in recombinant DNA technology or molecular biotechnology open up new sectors in practice and enable to increase efficiency and offer new services and products.
In our country, it has taken the last 15 years for students to receive both undergraduate and postgraduate education in molecular biology, genetics and modern biotechnology, which are among the technology fields that need to be breakthrough. This program will contribute to closing the gap of our country on this issue with the power of expert researchers it aims to train. The areas where the graduates of this program can contribute directly or indirectly are listed below:
- The increase in the applications of modern biotechnology in the medical field has been with the beginning of the recombinant DNA technology or genetic engineering revolution. Generating knowledge in the examination of the molecular mechanisms of genetic diseases, in the development of diagnosis and treatment methods, especially in medical faculties and the health sector.
- Identifying factors such as disease factors, toxic chemicals and radiation that pose a risk to human health, examining the molecular mechanisms of the effects caused by these, imposing limitations against them and developing protection methods, creating a healthier environment.
- Production and development of industrially important microorganisms and their products using conventional and/or molecular biology methods.
- Biotechnological system and product development.
- Applications of protein engineering in various subjects.
- Subjects such as determining the effects of environmental pollution on ecosystems, developing clean energy producing processes, determining genetic richness in ecosystems and protecting gene resources.
Thanks to its interdisciplinary feature, this program will create a strong and unifying educational base for students who may come from different undergraduate programs, and will also provide a structure that allows preparatory education opportunities in the field of Molecular biology-Genetics and biotechnology.
It will allow students participating in the program to interact at the national and international level to strengthen their education and training. By establishing cooperation with foreign universities and research institutions, it will support the studies on student exchange with similar programs and will ensure the continuous development of education. With the postgraduate education programs to be given on these subjects, it will contribute to the prevention of the brain drain caused by the high demand for education abroad.