Prof. Dr. Hakan Bermek
Istanbul Technical University, Department of Science and Letters
Molecular Biology and Genetics Maslak 34469 Istanbul, Turkey
Phone: +90 212 285 7301 Fax: +90 212 285 7254
Ph.D., Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Center for Biological Resources Recovery, Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Georgia USA, May 1999
MS, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Georgia, USA, July 1995
Department of Biology, Istanbul University, TURKEY, June 1990
Professor. Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Istanbul Technical University, 2012-Current.
Associate Professor. Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Istanbul Technical University, 2005-Current.
Part time lecturer. Yeditepe University, 2011.
Part time lecturer. Ozyegin University, 2011.
Visiting Scientist. Department of Material Science and Engineering, University of Washington, August-Sept 2003. Worked in Prof. Mehmet Sarikaya’s research project (sponsored by DURINT-ARO) on application of combinatorial biology techniques for selection of inorganic-specific peptides.
Assistant Professor. Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Istanbul Technical University, 2000-2005. Active duty in establishing and developing the Molecular Biology and Genetics department and Molecular Biology-Genetics and Biotechnology graduate program in the Istanbul Technical University. Taught various graduate and undergraduate level courses and supervised MS and PhD students as well as administrative work in the Istanbul Technical University.
Research/Teaching Associate. Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Istanbul Technical University, 1999-2000. Active duty in establishing a Molecular Biology and Genetics department in the Istanbul Technical University. Taught undergraduate level General Biology I and II (BIO 111 and BIO 112) and also supervising the laboratory practices that are part of these courses in the Istanbul Technical University.
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant. Center for Biological Resources Recovery, Dept of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Georgia. 1996-1999. Dissertation work is based on development of environmentally-benign biotechnology for pulp bleaching in the pulp and paper industry. Clarified the importance of laccase in the pulp bleaching by Pycnoporus cinnabarinus. Discovered a mechanism for preventing the Hydrogen peroxide-mediated inactivation of manganese peroxidase. Searched and found new mediators for effective pulp bleaching by manganese peroxidase. Discovered a new technique for utilizing manganese peroxidase and xylanase in a synergistic way for pulp bleaching. These findings might have major impacts in development of pulp and paper industry.
Graduate Research Assistant. Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Georgia. 1994-1995. Thesis work includes the studies on the fate of radioactively-labeled endothelin in the vascular smooth muscle (A-10) cells. Elucidated the internalization and degradation of hormone-receptor complexes, using various techniques including HPLC.
Background and experience in biochemistry, wood chemistry and cellular biology
Extensive knowledge on synthesis, and chemical and enzymatic degradation of lignin
Extensive experience with fungal cultivation, storage, purification and characterization of proteins
Extensive experience with various laboratory instruments, in particular, UV-visible spectrophotometers, Surface Plasmon resonance refractometry, HPLC and FPLC
Extensive experience on various techniques including ion exchange, gel filtration, affinity, and hydrophobic column chromatography, native GE, PAGE, other chromatographic separation techniques. Familiar with the operation of paper mills
Experience with eukaryotic cell cultures and biocompatibility
Experience on recombinant DNA technology
Experience on light microscopy and preparation techniques
Also familiar with transmission electron microscopy, experience with material preparation for electron microscopy
1. Bermek, H., Catal, T., Akan, S.S., Ulutaş, M.S., Kumru, M., Ozgüven, M., Liu, H., Ozçelik, B., Akarsubaşı AT. (2013) Olive mill wastewater treatment in single-chamber air-cathode microbial fuel cells. World J. Microbiol. Biotechnol.
2. Kumru, M., Eren, H., Catal, T., Akarsubaşı, A.T., Bermek, H. (2012) Study of Azo Dye Decolorization and Determination of Cathode Microorganism Profile in Air-Cathode Microbial Fuel Cells. Environmental Technology. 33(18), 2167-2175.
3. Cimenoglu, H., Meydanoglu, O., Baydogan, M., Bermek, H., Huner, P. Kayali, E.S. (2011) Characterization of Thermally Oxidized Ti6Al7Nb Alloy for biological applications. Metals and Materials International. 17(5):765-770.
4. Catal, T., Fan, Y., Li, K., Bermek, H., Liu, H. (2011) Utilization of Mixed Monosaccharides for Power generation in Microbial Fuel Cells. Journal of chemical technology and biotechnology, 86:570-574.
5. Cil, I., Bermek, H., Atik, C. (2010) Impact of Xylanase Pretreatment on Peroxide Bleaching Stage of Hemp Pulp. Russian Journal of Bioorganic Chemistry, 36(7), 860-862.
6. Catal, T., Bermek, H. and Liu, H. (2009) Removal of Selenite from Wastewater Using Microbial Fuel Cells. Biotechnology letters, 31, 1211-1216.
7. Donatan. S., Yazıcı, H., Bermek, H., Sarıkaya, M., Tamerler, C., Ürgen, M. (2009) Physical Elution in Phage Display Selection of Inorganic Binding Peptides, Materials Science and Engineering C., 29:14-19.
8. Liu, H., Yazici, H., Ergun, C., Webster, T.J., Bermek, H. (2008) An in vitro evaluation of the Ca/P ratio for the cytocompatibility of nano-to-micron particulate calcium phosphates for bone regeneration. Acta Biomaterialia, 4, 1472-1479.
9. Catal, T., Xu, S., Li, K., Bermek, H., Liu, H. (2008) Electricity generation from polyalcohols in single-chamber microbial fuel cells. Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 24, 849-854.
10. Catal, T., Fan, Y., Li, K, Bermek, H., Liu, H. (2008) Effects of Furan derivatives and Phenolic Compounds from Lignocellulose Hydrolysates on Electricity Generation in Microbial Fuel Cells. J. Power Sources, 180, 162-166.
11. Seker, U.O.S., Catal, T., Taptık, Y., Tamerler, C., Bermek, H. (2008) Enhanced production of manganese peroxidase by the white rot fungus Bjerkandera adusta using media engineering. Biotech. Biotechnological eq, 22(3), 844-848.
12. Arslan, E., Igdil, C.M., Yazıcı H., Tamerler, C., Bermek, H., Trabzon, L. (2008) Mechanical properties and biocompatibility of plasma-nitrided laser-cut 316L cardiovascular stents. J Mater Sci: Mater Med, 19:2079-2086.
13. Catal T., Li, K., Bermek, H., Liu, H. (2008) Electricity Production from Twelve Monosaccharides Using Microbial Fuel Cells. J. Power Sources. 175, 196-200.
14. Catal T., Liu, H., Bermek, H. Selenium Induces Manganese-dependent Peroxidase Production by the White-rot Fungus Bjerkandera adusta (Willdenow) P. Karsten. Biol. Trace. Elem. Res. 123:211-217 (2008).
15. Atik, C., İmamoğlu, S., Bermek, H. (2006) Impact of xylanase pre-treatment on peroxide bleaching stage of biokraft pulp. Int. Biodet. Biodegradation, 58, 22-26.
16. Yeşiladalı, S.K., Pekin, G., Bermek, H., Arslan-Alaton, İ., Orhon, D., Tamerler, C. (2006) Bioremediation of textile azo dyes by Trichophyton rubrum LSK-27 World Journal of Microbiology & Biotechnology, 22:1027-1031.
17. Bermek. H, Gülseren, I., Li, K., Jung, H. and Tamerler, C. (2004) The effect of fungal morphology on ligninolytic enzyme production by a recently isolated wood-degrading fungus Trichophyton rubrum LSK-27. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 20, 345-349.
18. Bermek. H, Yazıcı, H., Öztürk, M.H., Tamerler, C., Jung, H., Li, K., Brown, K.M., Ding, H., Xu, F. (2004) Purification and characterization of a manganese peroxidase from wood-degrading fungus Trichophyton rubrum LSK-27. Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 35(1), 87-92.
19. Kara, S., Tamerler, C., Bermek, H., Pekcan, O. (2003) Hysteresis during sol-gel and gel-sol phase transitions of k-carrageenan : a photon transmission study. Journal of Bioactive and Compatible Polymers, 18(1), 33-45.
20. Kara, S., Tamerler, C., Bermek, H., Pekcan, O. (2003) Cation effects on sol-gel and gel-sol phase transitions of k-carrageenan water system. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 31, 177-185.
21. Bermek, H., Li, K. and Eriksson, K-E.L. Studies on mediators to increase the effect of manganese peroxidase in pulp bleaching. (2002) Biores. Technol., 85(3): 249-252.
22. Bermek, H., Li, K. and Eriksson, K-E.L. Pulp bleaching by manganese peroxidase and xylanase : A synergistic effect. TAPPI J. (2000) 83(10), 69.
23. Bermek, H., Li, K. and Eriksson, K-E. L. (1998) Laccase-less mutants of the white-rot fungus Pycnoporus cinnabarinus cannot delignify kraft pulp. J. Biotechnol. 66:117-124.2
24. Bermek, H., Peng, K.C., Angelova, K., Ergul, A. and Puett, J.D. (1996) Endothelin degradation by vascular smooth muscle cells. Regulatory peptides. 66:155-162.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.